We are delighted to announce the launch of weekend training sessions for anybody aged 7 to 15 years who is interested in taking part and already is able to play chess, sorry no beginners please.
Click here for the chess training leaflet.
A variety of coaches will be used for these training sessions to enable participants to obtain a broad range of knowledge, skills and advice.
The number of applicants in a group is limited to around 12 applicants. If there is enough applicants we will have more than one group and coach.
There is a limited number of spaces for each session, but since there are five or six each term, children should get a chance to take part in one or other session.
The sessions will all take place either Saturday or Sunday and either from 10am to 1pm or 12pm to 3pm to give everybody a fair chance to take part around their other commitments.
Venue: Claremont Room, King George’s Hall, 1 High Street, Esher, Surrey KT10 9SD.
Cost: £35 for each child per session.
Discount: Current Wey Valley Squad Members Receive a 15% Discount.
n.b. To qualify for the discount you need to select your child’s name from the list in the application form below and pay the full fee under the form. Once verified, we will issue you a 15% refund which may take up to 40 days to go through.
Dates, Times and Coaches:
- Saturday, September 21, 2019 – 10:00 – 13:00 with IM Michael Basman
- Sunday, September 29, 2019 – 12:00 – 15:00 with IM Michael Basman
- Saturday, October 5, 2019 – 12:00 – 15:00 with Marcus Gosling
- Saturday, November 9, 2019 – 12:00 – 15:00 coach TBC
- Sunday, November 17, 2019 – 10:00 – 13:00 with Marcus Gosling
- Sunday, December 1, 2019 – 10:00 – 13:00 with Julian Way
- Sunday, January 12, 2020 – 12:00 – 15:00 coach TBC
- Saturday, January 18, 2020 – 10:00 – 13:00 with Julian Way
- Sunday, February 2, 2020 – 10:00 – 13:00 coach TBC
- Saturday, February 8, 2020 – 12:00 – 15:00 coach TBC
- Sunday, March 1, 2020 – 12:00 – 15:00 with Julian Way
- Saturday, April 4, 2020 – 10:00 – 13:00 coach TBC
- Saturday, April 11, 2020 – 12:00 – 15:00 coach TBC
- Sunday, April 19, 2020 – 10:00 – 13:00 coach TBC
Those who were selected to be in the Wey Valley Squad at the beginning of each calendar year will get a reduced application fee for any sessions they attend in the same year. Squad members’ names will be in a drop down list with in the application form below.
Any of the chess coaches listed below may teach on the chess courses:
International Master Michael Basman
Expert chess coach Julian Way
Skilled chess coach Marcus Gosling
Experienced chess coach David Archer
A selection of strong Junior Chess Players
All of the above have an up-to-date enhanced DBS check.
All payments must be made when entering a child on to a chess course in order to have a confirmed place as there is always high demand for all of our chess courses and last year they were all fully booked.
We do not reserve places nor will we accept entries on the day due to high demand as we feel this gives everybody the same, fair chance to apply.
If you are interested in taking part in any of these coaching sessions then simply complete the form below and make your payment using the PayPal button under the form and please ensure you click <Submit> :
Have you clicked <Submit> under the form or else we will not receive your details. Thank you! Now make your payment using the payment button below:
Weekend Training Session(s)
Everyone pays the same amount for each session. To pay for more than one session/ child select how many you are paying in the box below.
If you do not have a PayPal account, you can set one up easily otherwise for alternative payment method please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
It is a condition of entry that players agree to the chess entries for all terms and conditions, which can be found here